25 August 2005

Foxwoods Part I: Overview of Trip

Upon arrival at Foxwoods, I bought into a NL tourney, $120+30. I didn't realize it was a re-buy tournament (which I probably wouldn't have signed up for). I got knocked out, re-bought for $60 (received $500 in chips to start, then got another $500 for the re-buy). Waded around until the add-on period, which was another $120 for $1,000 in chips, so my investment was $330 (didn't know about the add-on until it was happening).

I was able to double up with an overpair, then our table broke. I built my stack up much better to about $5,000 with a flopped set when I played a hand poorly with QhJh (called a bet of $1,100 with the blinds to act, then a guy went all-in for another $1,200). Eventually misplayed AA when I got down to $1,400 with blinds at $150/300 with $25 ante. Was trying to quadruple up, and the small blind flopped two baby pairs, and that was that.

Shouldn't have played this tourney, I don't think, due to not understanding the structure, as well as never playing or practicing a re-buy tourney (as well as not allocating the funds). I debated playing more but passed for the night. Definitely saw the value of patience as many folks were fairly aggressive at pots.

Yesterday, I worked all day (no meals until 5:00). Started at $10/20, and gave up $300. One of the risks at a place like Foxwoods at a medium level like $10/20, I think, is that you have the same players basically playing there all the time. Not as much problem with collusion as knowing everyone at the table, as well as very solid players. I caught the nut flush on the turn to a flopped Q9 full house, which hit my stack hard. I decided to pick up my last $97 in chips and head to a $1/2 no-limit table. I was on a list and started at a new table. Minimum buy-in was $40, and maximum was $100. I don't recall all of the hands, but several of the players at that level were newbies, as well as others who just weren't very good. I was able to build my stack up through a ton of patience (most players would limp in, so 6-7 players was the norm through the night). I was able to build stacks through either good hands, monster catches on flop or turn, or good bluffs. Didn't play many pots at all (probably 15-20%). Ended up winning big pots with sets, a nice gutshot straight that I bet, turned flush, and a few other nice ones. Lost $225 on one pot by re-raising a raised $15 (re-raise was $50). I had KK on flop with nothing on the board, I bet all-in, guy calls me with Ad5d (no draws on the board), turn was the ace. Lost $250 or by re-raising with JJ (pushed a guy off of AQ), one caller (I had re-raised $75). Flop came Qc9cX, I bet $100, and the guy had $112, he calls me, Ac comes on the turn (the last ace), and I put him in (he turns over AK), one of my Jacks was a club, but a blank on the river. I decided to leave after the hand, down $100 for the night.

In the long run, the lower limit NL may be a good thing to play. both of the latter plays were very poor plays on their part. I had only shown one bluff all night and played very few hands, so both of these guys were way behind when they made their decision to call. One guy outplayed me for a medium pot when I laid down top pair from his busted straight draw. Poor decision on my part with poor thinking on my part (he bet the river after checking to me, and he bet $61 into a pot of $180 or so).

For the trip, down $100 in cash games plus the tourney of $330. That takes my bankroll down precariously low (under $1,000). I'll write more about lessons learned from the trip. Had planned to play today, but I need to move on to Maine, so I'm leaving in a bit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pauly said...

Great recap. I miss Foxwoods.

Best of luck with your blog.

12:59 PM  
Blogger CC said...

Thanks, and keep coming back when you can.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com