22 July 2005

Treading Water

I won't start with bad beat stories. Suffice it to say I had pocket aces four times in two hours: won the blinds twice, then lost $150 twice. Got down to where I could see the felt, built back up to +350, then worked my way down, giving away $140 on the last hand. Three diamonds on flop (raised with KdJs UTG), Jd was highest on board, immediate left raised my flop bet, I re-raised. Diamond on turn made his ace, and I check called to the river. Losing so many monster hands was particularly brutal. I've been able to significantly change my online game, getting in the 17-22% hands played, so these solid hands need to hold up. Getting rivered should help me in the long run, getting paid off by the chasers, but the short term fluctuations don't help matters. Up $57 for the session, which I would call a disappointment (one big bet per hour).

Final poker note: going on tilt for laying down hands pre-flop. Dealt KJo in middle position, raise to me, I fold, button re-raises. Flop is KJJ. Button has AA, early raiser has KQ. KJo is a marginal hand for me, and I'll play it suited probably three times more than I will play its offsuit variations. It normally is a hand that can just cause leakage or get you into trouble, similar to A8, QTs, etc. Suffice it to say I picked the wrong time to lay it down...

1 Comments:

Blogger CC said...

So much for getting folks to the site...

OK, the reply:

>> I'll start with the second. You are right in that it is contradictory. I never felt the US should invade Iraq. We have, so I think we need to treat this place like it is: a conquered territory. Our citizens are being killed or are in significant danger, some individuals I saw as recently as a week ago, so by martial law I mean just what you would do in a time of war. We should never have been there, but we are. Timetables and PR imagery have no place for the task at hand, which I think first and foremost should be keeping our citizens safe.

>> Regarding the term quagmire, I think of it like quicksand which I associate the word quagmire with. I can't see a vision of how this turns out well for us specifically in the Middle East, as well as in the world in general. I think there is a real risk that when the troops leave, the nation reverts to either a Lebanon, a Russia, or an Iran. I would think the first two are the most likely.

>> Regarding conscription, I think about my boys alot. Recruitment of armed forces are in decline, and the reserves and Guard will never be the same again. I don't particularly care about the next decade except for how it shapes my boys' lives, so that is what I mean by conscription.

>> Regarding the connection of British television and the terror events in London, I simply meant I hope what we're seeing there isn't a foreshadowing of what our lives here will be like over the next ten years. If my language didn't get there, then my apologies.

Regarding my beliefs in general: I hope I am able to craft them with my own values, experiences, and intellect. I don't watch the news, I read the AJC, Wall Street Journal, weekend NY Times once every six weeks (never have time to actually read it other than the Sports pages), and Yahoo news.

Gotta run, but good lively post.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com