27 July 2005

What Happens After Bankroll Evaporates?

There are three options for next steps once the online bankroll has gone: free money online, home game with the family, and the restaurant/bar freeroll tourney. To give you some context of the third option: go to Atlanta Bar Games and you'll find no less than thirty locations in and around Atlanta. I would assume there are at least another thirty-sixty not listed. I played last night at Barnacles in Alpharetta. Play started at 7:30, and I received permission to play from (passed on stir fry at home which became pancakes and cereal after I pulled out). So this is how low it has gotten for me. Seven people at my table, including myself (five tables). Top two places get $50/25 Barnacle Bucks. $400 in chips, blinds start at $5/10. Two oddball rules: no sidepots until the final table, and (this one not uncommon at these bar games), the minimum raise is the bb, not the previous bet.

So this is bar poker. One guy gets knocked out with JJ after the flop with a K on the board, a railbird takes his seat. I fold the first half dozen hands, raise $40 to go with two limpers in front of me with ATo, new railbird calls. Flop is K32, bird checks, I bet $35 (had lost track of what I was doing exactly), bird raises to $100, I fold. Two hands later, I look down at AsKs, I raise to $40, 60-something guy I had seen hovering with his buddy excitedly before we started calls. Flop comes KKQ, I bet $65, he calls. Turn is 9h (second heart), I check, he checks. River is 6h, I bet $125, he beats me into the pot with an "I'm all-in", I call without blinking, turn over my top trips top kicker only to see his top trips second top kicker (which would be a queen, which would be a boat). Which would send me to the car at approximately 7:53, which would get me home at approximately 8:02, which would get me in the shower to wash off the smoke smell at approximately 8:06. So, me and Jennifer Harman, we can commiserate with getting knocked out early when dominating before the flop (I think she got crippled in the main event with KK, K on the flop, turned a boat, river gave the guy a straight flush or something like that, a runner runner straight flush). So, could I have sniffed out the boat? It's all still a blur. I've gotten brutalized twice playing my iPod (first time I had KK, flop was AKT, panic-attack guy had QdJd).

It has been a good discipline break to get away from party for a bit. I am a book buyer but don't really read books very much. I bought 1776 a couple of days ago and am reading it. I am on page 25 or so. It's pretty neat to read, although you have to re-read most of the pages due to multi-tasking (watching the end of Star Wars I, then watching Survivor Season I on OLN). That is a major hoot--I think Jeff Proebst must have had to edit and produce the shows, as well as host. Plus, he didn't have all of his rote schtick down (he patted the should of the lady who was voted off when she brought her torch up and walked away).

Last iMusic downloads: Dare You to Move (Switchfoot), She Will Be Loved and This Love (Maroon 5).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com