15 August 2005

Home Game

I was at my brother-in-law's house Friday night for a tourney. 12 people, two tables with re-buys the first four rounds. I ran into major hands and had to re-buy. Don't remember too much how I got knocked out, but I lasted quite awhile after my re-buy (but went to the rail with 8 folks left). They played forever seven-handed when my brother-in-law raised all-in in bb with four callers in front of him. Newbie calls to his left, then big stack calls, then newbie's girlfriend calls! Brother-in-law had A5 suited, newbie had AK suited, big stack had 55 (absolutely horrible call), and girlfriend has AQ off. Of course, 55 held up, which I was glad (freed my brother-in-law up for cash game). I talked him into playing heads-up freeze-out for $5. First hand we re-raise each other until he's all-in, and I relucantly call with ATd (he has AJ). Then I convince him to play again for $10 and take him, then we get a third to play and I take that. We finally get a five-handed freezeout game, which goes to 3:30 in the morning. I get knocked out with bottom pair heads-up vs. 2nd pair (I bet on flop, turn, then all-in on river). I don't drink, but there were shot flowing, so everyone had a great time.

It seems that local police busting games is becoming more prevalent. There was an article in the Sunday Greenville (SC) News about a bust of a game in a subdivision clubhouse. $100 buy-in with $10 for the house for refreshments. Apparently, they publicized the game on the web. I assume it is fairly easy to bust these games for the police, but it seems like a poor use of resources to worry about evil poker players. This seems like the most innocuous bust to date. No real organized rake, just pooling funds together for refreshments. I would submit some simple ways to prevent these sorts of problems:
  • If possible, invite a member of your community's finest to be part of the game
  • No rakes for home games--bring your own refreshments, or pitch in to buy something specifically
  • Don't keep any written records, as well as anything in the computer. My brother-in-law has a tournament director on his computer that allows you to compute payout, but something similar was quoted in the Greenville article
  • Keep the cash on someone, maybe in a specific money clip or something
I'll try to research any state history/movement in Georgia for legalizing poker. I'm not sure of the groundswell regarding this, but the base is definitely here to make it successful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott Cunningham said...

I'll try to dig up some stuff on political movements to legalize gambling. Card Player posted something not too long ago about it. I don't think there is much in Georgia, which seems to have a constitution that borrowed language from other states which seems to make gambling unequivocally illegal - even ones involving some level of skill (unless, of course, you're the government, in which case, you can have a monopoly on gambling in the form of lotteries).

Calling with 55 when three people before you called may not be so bad if you're the big blind, and the person who went all-in was short stacked, right? 55 has a 22% chance of winning in five-handed. If it ended up four handed, then those are mighty large pot odds, and almost approaches the odds he needed to call - and perhaps did if the blinds were sufficiently large.

10:56 AM  
Blogger G-Rob said...

The G-Vegas thing was a joke. A buddy of mine got nabbed. It was a a neighborhood clubhouse, and the neighbors were complaining. As far as security, WHERE you host the game is THE most important consideration.

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com