17 February 2008

Frantic Peace


69/365 Frantic Peace
Originally uploaded by csquard

It was the briefest of stops at home. Arrived after everyone was in bed Friday night, hugged everyone Saturday morning, ninety minutes with my travel agent taking care of the two week itinerary except for a couple hotels still to figure out, threw football for thirty minutes with our middle son, dinner and a movie with my wife, woke up this morning and worked, frantically fled to church, left my family to work more, met them for a slice of pizza, wrapped up and packed in thirty minutes, then headed to the airport, where I sit and hope that I'm able to get out of the ATL before a big storm hits.

I didn't have time to make it to church today, but I felt like I didn't have the ability to miss. I was able to be quiet for a moment, sitting next to the love of my life and letting the frantic stress of life dissipate. Although I'm tremendously busy, every day that passes is a day I haven't worked on new business, haven't worked on marketing, haven't worked on a redesign of my company's website. Lots of haven'ts. One of my first bosses used to talk about the Ain't-It-Bad's, and I must confess I've had those lately. Currently, there really aren't enough hours in the day to get things figured out. I haven't found the ability to get it done on the road, but hopefully tomorrow will be a day I can take a step closer.

Our pastor was finishing a series that he called "The Fight." The first part of the series (that I think I missed several weeks ago) talked about the fight for a slower pace. Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still, and know that I am God." Be still. What a difficult concept for me, not to be still in body (I'm pretty good at that!), but to be still of mind and of spirit is extremely difficult for me. Recently, my ears seem to ring from the pounding of my mind.

Does this mean don't multi-task, don't push to achieve everything we can be? I don't think so. It does mean though that I need to be certain I have properly prioritized what is important in my life and to focus on those things. I'm normally good at it, and maybe I still am.

I know no one really reads these blogs on Sunday's, least of all mine. I had an hour before my flight, and I just needed to pay my $7.95 to get online and put this up. As always, this is really mostly for me. I'll try to make tomorrow better than yesterday for me.

UPDATE 7:00PM

Flight diverted to Birmingham, so I've missed my connection to Reno. I'll spend the night at a Phoenix airport then fly out first thing in the morning to Reno (which shouldn't impact my meeting in Reno). Off to a great start...

2 Comments:

Blogger Standing Around Breathing said...

I read it and it was what I needed to hear! Our sermon was on John 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease." I let alot of stuff come between me and God and this was what I needed to hear today. Join that with your blog and maybe I should be paying attention. . .
BTW, if you are driving from The Gump to Anniston, I might be able to swing something in B-ham.
---Mark

5:12 PM  
Blogger ernpac said...

Thank you for posting this. Its something many of us who identify with you and read your blog need to see. Hang in there...I will say a prayer for you before I retire tonight.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com