13 June 2006

Aerial Bombardment

Well, that was great. It is still less than twenty-four hours since the Czech Republic gave us a painful dose of bad medicine. I won't list all of the places you can go, but Matt Matros is one guy who feels the pain for sure. Not only was the first five minutes dreadful and the game was horrible, but the aftermath was an abomination. The US coach, Bruce Arena, prides himself on being soccer's answer to Dean Smith, Coach K, and Larry Brown, but the team forgot to read the handbook regarding what to do when your coach publicly chastises star players. You are supposed to take responsibility and say that the buck stops here, not spat back. There was truly nothing good that came from that game. "We didn't think we'd be down by a goal in the first five minutes." Why not? You thought you were one of the best teams in the world instead of a collection that couldn't start for a top ten club or country? I've got so much to say on this but I'm not going to put it out there. I would hope that our game with Italy includes eleven guys that can think of the game in this way: we've qualified for the World Cup, we're so excited to be here, I get to play against the best in the world today, I'm going to leave everything I have out on the pitch.

A few pimpages:
  • High on Poker: Jordan's been doing alot of really good stuff lately. I can't imagine that you're not all over it, but if not get there.
  • Pokerstage: John's been working really hard at some topical items, as well as writing for PokerWorks. He's inspired me to take more risks, even to write a short story for the first time in over a decade (to be published in Truckin' in a couple weeks I might add)
  • Guinness and Poker: IGGY mega-post new today
  • Pauly: great recap of last year's WSOP
Sweetie and I had a troubling conversation yesterday. I had a great work day, really cranked all day long, and I was giving her a recap of a few other things (writing for PokerWorks, some email's I've gotten about relationships, etc.). As I've mentioned here before, I've really struggled connecting with our mega-church that we go to. We had talked about that Sunday evening. So anyways, she said, "I think your blog and those people are your church." I was taken aback, but I tried to hear what she was saying and figure out if there was truth there. I don't see this as my church for sure, but it is a community, a fellowship of people that I enjoy, that I'm able to invest in and share with. I have to consider this a bit more.

I'm flying to Dayton tomorrow morning then driving to just south of Cincinnati. Any thoughts on poker between the two places would be appreciated. I have to spend the night somewhere. Thought about hitting Belterra, but my flight Thursday AM is 8:55, which would make a big hike. Caesar's Indiana looks too far as well.

The series I had planned looks like it will head into next week instead. Too busy, which is fine and a good thing for sure. Thanks for stopping by. Yesterday's post had a bunch of me in it, so feel free to scroll down if you didn't catch it yesterday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

A lot of people think joining a church is about worshiping God every Sunday. They couldn't be more wrong. You don't have to go to church to pray or be respectful or try to follow in Christ's footsteps (or whatever one's religion might enourage one to do).

Church is about building a community with people who share a similar constructive belief system.

In that sense, your poker blog is sort of like a church. You try to give to the community and in turn it tries to support you when you need advice or encouragement.

This is not a problem unless it is getting in the way of your other communities. You need to identify what is keeping you from connecting with your church and then make the needed changes. If you determine your time on poker is the problem then spend less time. If it is the church itself then talk to Sweetie about trying other churches. But be honest and don't allow the incorrect "obvious" problem get in the way of finding the real issue.

10:49 AM  
Blogger alabare said...

"I think your blog and those people are your church."

This statement alone has me doing some soul searching.

Hmmm...I'm leaving your blog pondering deep thoughts.

Have a safe trip!
-Adam

11:27 AM  
Blogger Ignatious said...

go to the argosy to play some poker, trust me.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Thanks for the kinds words. If your blog is a church, then mine is a synogogue, so I better start charging people to read on the high holy holidays.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Pseudo_Doctor said...

hey man thanks for stopping by my blog just started reading your blog today...i like it alot take care man

4:20 PM  
Blogger Pseudo_Doctor said...

just went through some of your blog from the begining thought it was intrested that u jumped to 10/20 with such a small bank roll which was probably one of the reasons why u bottomed out so fast....secondly im going to atlantic city this thursday and friday night so if want to play ur more then welcome to come by just shoot me an email at raveen_shenoi@yahoo.com

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com