30 January 2006

Ending the Month

I made it home Saturday morning after 25 hours from entering the plane in Singapore to departing in Atlanta. I reaked of Clorox the whole way back from Seoul and was lucky not to miss the flight from Seoul as I fell asleep in the Korean Air Lounge. I kept waking up every thirty minutes, then cut it a bit close. I got sick of watching the same movies over and over. Finished Harrington's Volume 2, which is a must for anyone who wants to be diligent about playing tourneys. I didn't crack the laptop all weekend as I fought through fatigue. I took one nap Saturday then fell asleep in my 7-year old's bed at 8:00. I woke up Sunday morning at 4:00, then fell asleep last night around 8:30 or so. I'm a bit tired now, but hopefully I can press on.

I went to the dentist for the first time in a couple of years today. This is inexecusable for an adult as gum disease can start setting in if you don't get cleaned regularly. Dentist are 1000% better than when I was a kid. Then, it really was a horrible experience. I had one cavity and have to go back in two weeks. They also were on me about not getting my wisdom teeth out, so I'll at least go to the consult to see what we're talking about.

It's great to see Negreanu back hitting his stride in Tunica, winning the WSOP tourney there. Admittedly, he had become a bit overextended. I think what that really did was affect his preparation and the regularity of his play. Once you get to the level he's at, I think it's less about what to do with A7o and more to do with preparing yourself for all of the situations you'll confront.

Had a quick hour to burn before my dentist appointment, so I played a quick SNG at Party ($30+3). Came in third when my A8 ran up against AA, which is never really that good to run up against when you're down to three. I won't be playing tonight and probably not tomorrow, so it looks like I booked a small gain for the month of January, +$500 or so. Not great by any stretch, but primarily all major losses found in playing NLHE (giving large sums away with strong hands being beaten by two pair or sets) and a couple of bad $15/30 sessions (short run of playing bad cards). But a win is a win, so let's decide that it sets things up nicely for a solid positive February.

Top Five Losing Hands for January (Party hands--2,654; FullTilt hands--3,233):
  • P-AQo FT-QQ
  • P-77 FT-A7o
  • P-KJo FT-77
  • P-AKo FT-K9o
  • P-87o FT-Q9o
Top Five Winning Hands for January (Party hands--2,654; FullTilt hands--3,233):
  • P-KK FT-AA
  • P-KQo FT-KK
  • P-97s FT-AKs
  • P-QJo FT-QJs
  • P-A9o FT-A8s
Worst Session: -$545, 20 minutes, 26 hands ($15/30 Party Limit), highlighted by TT losing to 92 full house
Best Session: +$689, 146 minutes, 198 hands ($15/30 Party Limit)
Top Pot Won: $547 with KK, flopping top set ; $537 with 97s flopping full house; $507 with QTs turning straight

Have to fly to Kentucky to see a client Wednesday. I have to decide whether to get rid of this client or keep them on a year. I'll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

Blogger gqb30612 said...

I just read your posts about your travel to Singapore. I am contemplating a pleasure trip to Seoul in late February. Only other Asian cities I have been to are Hong Kong and Bangkok; I have been to Seoul 20+ times. If I go, I intend to minimize the poker work. Of course, not playing for so long may leave me with guilt.

4:23 AM  
Blogger CC said...

Of course, you can always take a laptop and play in Seoul.

Hong Kong has changed temendously in the last ten years. When I first visited, it was this unique blend of Brittanica and the Orient, a clear separation from China. It is definitely China now. Bangkok is a great place: straightforward, safe, with lots to do. I did work for LG and went to Seoul a few times, but you'd be the expert there.

If you are on a pleasure trip, the real thing to do would be to hop down to Australia on your way back from the trip (if you can swing it). I've never played there, but that would be worth the pitstop on the way back.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com