21 December 2005

A Horrible Twenty-Four Hours

I had to go to Urmond, Holland Tuesday morning by train. I am one of only ten people in America without rolling luggage, so I hauled my huge folding bag, laptop, and a shoulder bag through the Amsterdam train station when my adventures began:
  • I have an extremely travel window to be able to get back in time for my flight to Paris. Why? Because I thought my meeting was in Amsterdam, not Urmond (a two-hour train ride away).
  • I arrived at the meeting an hour early to try and conduct it early. Only one person was available, so it looked unlikely I could make my train (trains left every thirty minutes)
  • Meeting went well, but it took fifteen minutes for a taxi to make it to pick me up. I got to the train station, only to watch the train leave.
  • I called American Express to change flights--a horrible experience, with phone trees and extremely slow service, all the time costing me a fortune to call from Europe
  • I fall asleep on the train, wake up with the speaker saying Amsterdam over and over, ask a guy if this is Amsterdam. He says yes, I get off, then quickly realize it is not Amsterdam (which is thirty minutes away).
  • I figure out how to get the next train, get to Amsterdam fifteen minutes later than planned. I had called the taxi driver to pick me up. I haul my 100-pound bag a mile or so through the train station, search for the taxi driver, finally find him.
  • It's rush hour, so it takes a while to get to the airport. My flight is scheduled to leave in five minutes.
  • I find a place to check-in, they tell me to go to a ticket agent to change my flight. I look and see the flight is delayed, check-in, and all is right with the world.
  • I get off in Paris, wait for my 100-pound bag, and it doesn't arrive! I'm now stuck with no luggage.
  • I go through everything, tell them I'm there for just a day, give them all the info etc.
  • I take a taxi to my hotel, only the taxi driver can't find the hotel, driving around and around La Defense until finally finding my Marriott.
  • I sleep naked to save my underwear a little wear and tear. It's not a pretty sight.
  • Shower won't work, so I'm taking a bath and using the toiletry kit from Air France.
  • Meeting goes OK, then I finally make it to the St. Michel Metro stop, where I get my one Parisian meal: gyro et frites (a gyro with hot sauce instead of cucumber sauce, no tomatoes, with fries). This is my one Atkins-buster, but it is my favorite thing to eat in Paris. It's obviously Greek, but I always go down the same street and get this. It is one of the things that is Paris for me, and I can't do any of the others because I have to find my bag.
  • Make it to the airport after some more adventures. Try to get the check-in lady to help find the bag, but she's no help so I go down to baggage claim. Someone at Air France convinces me that I need to re-enter the closed doors of baggage claim when someone comes out (which doesn't sound like the most secure idea), but I do as I'm told. They finally bring my bag.
  • I depart, flying Paris to Amsterdam, then on to Cologne.
I think Cologne is going to be nice. They knew my name when I went to check in, which was pretty cool. Upgraded room, with a big shower plus a bathtub. My meeting is in Leverkusen tomorrow, then I may have some time to kill in Cologne. I may play poker again in London tomorrow evening, it just depends on how it all goes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pinky said...

Unfortunately I'm doing dinner with the in-laws tonight otherwise I'd have been up for some poker.

Godd luck if you make it out. I think the Gutshot has a £30 rebuy tonight, if I remember correctly.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Zheng junxai5 said...

zhengjx20160615
cheap jerseys
replica rolex watches
michael kors canada outlet
nike roshe run
celine bags
retro jordans 13
rolex watches
cheap air jordans
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses outlet
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
timberland outlet
michael kors outlet online
nike free uk
true religion jeans
coach outlet store online
ralph lauren home
burberry outlet online
air jordan shoes
oakley outlet
louis vuitton outlet
louis vuitton bags
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet
hollister clothing
michael kors outlet clearance
juicy couture
louboutin shoes
louis vuitton purses
michael kors outlet
coach factory outlet online
michael kors handbags
tory burch shoes
toms shoes outlet online
michael kors outlet
christian louboutin shoes
coach outlet

5:19 AM  
Blogger Zheng junxai5 said...

zhengjx20160728
michael kors outlet
copy watches
burberry handbags
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses wholesale
cheap basketball shoes
coach outlet
longchamp le pliage
michael kors outlet online
christian louboutin outlet
jordan retro 8
michael kors outlet
adidas boost
nike roshe run mens
ray ban sunglasses
kobe 10
replica rolex watches
tods sale
louis vuitton purses
louis vuitton outlet online
hermes birkin handbags
burberry outlet
coach outlet store online clearances
michael kors outlet
jordan 11
cheap jordans
coach outlet
coach outlet
true religion jeans
jordan retro 11
coach factory outlet
christian louboutin sale clearance
true religion outlet
louis vuitton outlet
kate spade
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors handbags
discount jordans
louis vuitton bags
insanity workout

4:54 AM  
Blogger fattoma said...

http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-21.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-20.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-19.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-18.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-16_12.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-16.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-15.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-13_12.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-13.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/eliminate-cockroaches-12.html

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com