08 March 2006

Medical Breakthrough! Compulsive Poker Cured!

You've heard of the date rape drug, slipping mickeys into drinks, etc. Well, in a recent paper published in the American Journal of Psychiatry, a team led by Dr. Jon E. Grant (University of Minnesota Medical Center) has concluded that the drug nalmefene significantly reduces compulsive gambling. See the abstract and full paper if you have the energy. Unanswered questions:
  • What are the side effects caused by nalmefene?
    • Less chasing of straights and flushes
    • Inability to bluff at pots
    • Loss of check/raise capability
    • Reduction of online tables played at the same time to four from twelve
  • What is the VP$IP reduction after one week's use of nalmefene?
  • For Pauly al, can nalmefene be, uh, mixed with anything (et al includes in no particular order Iggy, AlCantHang)?
  • Can nalmefene be used with Ritalin?
  • Can tourney director prescribe nalmefene after three consecutive suckouts?
  • Will PokerTracker add a patch indicating nalmefene use?
  • The report quotes 1-2% of Americans suffer from compulsive gambling disorder. What is the difference between compulsive gambling disorder and the solid poker player? I'm assuming someone with compulsive gambling means that they lose, but I'm not sure
Did watch Little House on the Prairie last night, which entirely creeped me out thinking of my dream about sex with Melissa Gilbert. Aces cracked today by Kc8c, calling my raise, betting then calling my raise with his paired 8 (middle pair), then catching the 8 on the turn. Thanks so much. Doubled up with KdTd calling from the bb (both of these were low stakes NLHE on FullTilt), flop comes KdTdx, I check and it checks around, A hits on river, I bet, guy raises (all fold), I reraise, he reraises, I go all-in, he flips over AQo. He doesn't improve.

My wife is going away for a weekend, so this weekend I'll put in some hours at the table during little guy's naps, as well as at night.

2 Comments:

Blogger TripJax said...

Dude, you are quickly becoming one of my "blogs to read". Your pumping out some good stuff. Keep up the good work...

11:12 AM  
Blogger Littleacornman said...

Gotta agree with Trip.Makes for fine reading.

5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com