25 April 2006

Children and Poker: Wolverine

A hectic forty-eight hours, and I'm finally able to breathe a bit. Meeting tomorrow afternoon to (hopefully) close the China project. I'd rather write about poker than play, so here you go.

Great post from Bobby's Room at the Bellagio by Linda. All the big dogs playing their regular 4/8 mixed game.

When I thought we should have a teenager's insight for this series, I unfortunately found an atypical teen in Wolverine, a young veteran of the G-Vegas circuit who took down BadBlood's G-Vegas birthday party tourney this weekend. He's been described as respectful, humble, and a great young man, not the rude, obnoxious . What even those who have seen him on the felt may not know is that he suffers from common variable immunodeficiency, a rare immune deficiency which leads to a lot of illness and suffering. Monthly treatments keep him going, but it's not easy and no one would know about any of this as he's betting into a pot. All a parent can ask for is to raise a child who becomes a man or woman of substance, integrity, and shared values. Shep should be proud that the Wolverine is well on his way.

cc: What are your early memories of poker?
W: Most of my early memories of poker were small $5 buy-in tournaments sitting in my den with a couple of family members, but then again I was playinga lot of free online chip games (usually SNG).

cc: How much do you play (online vs. live)?
W: I play online a lot more than I play live. It just works into my schedule better, but I would much rather play live. I play better in a live game, and it's a lot more fun because you can talk and joke around.

cc: What do you see as the risks of teenagers playing poker?
W: Teens have a lot of risks in playing poker there minds are not quite fully developed and they sometimes do not read things they way they should
be read. Most teens that play are not using there own money to enter into things (I know this because I was there once) my dad was always putting in my $5-$20 buy-in during our live games. I now pay my own way. I have a job and a fairly good one at that I am an assistant manager at a small restaurant.

cc: How do you protect yourself from the downside of poker?
W:
As of now I have to work hard to get the money for a buy-in for a tournament and I do not play frequently. I am juggling School, a job, a girlfriend, and keeping close to my family all of which are way more important than poker. I will not be conceded and say that I am better than that but I will say that I am smarter than to let myself get addicted. I am a very strong minded person I think deep into things I know what’s going on in the world around me and I know when I can and can not play. In the future I still want to be playing poker but I want to get my life on track before I ever think of trying to play poker just for money. I am playing it for fun now and so far it has worked out for me. I want to go to culinary school to be a chef because I have been in a kitchen since I can remember and I have loved every moment of
it, and if I get the chance want to go back to college and get a degree in psychology because I have just taken to reading into peoples stories like a duck takes to water. People make comments about that to me all the time and I realize that is yet another thing I could be good at. In the end I want to be a chef.

cc: Tell me about what it's like to play with your dad, uncle, and their friends?
W: I do not see the people I play with as my dad and uncle’s friends I see them as my friends also. They are a great bunch of guys and I like to hang out with them, as a matter of fact I would much rather hang out with them rather than my friends. Most of my friends are normal teens, immature and perverts, Quite frankly, I am not like that. I am more mature that most of the 17 year olds you meet as for the pervert part. I think people that are perverted are disrespectful and I do not like it. As for playing with my dad and uncle, I thinks it’s fun. I like being able to get at each others’ throats for a little while, and if we take each other out it’s usually followed up by some name calling and laughing and thank a big hand shake or hug its a good bonding experience.

cc: What do you see poker as in your future?
W: I would like to play poker in the future. I see it as a great game, but family, school, and a career come first.

cc: What advice would you give teenagers when it comes to poker?

cc: What advice would you give teenagers when it comes to poker?
W:
Just do not and I repeat do not get addicted to the game. You will lose your whole bankroll. Also do not play outside of you limit because when teens stress gets up they get real stupid and aggressive. I have had enough time to fix this for me.

cc: What would you say to concerned parents regarding poker? Should they be concerned if their son plays poker?
W:
I can’t say much about this subject because I play and my parents let me and I haven’t seen parents of these "Poker Kids". If you are concerned than just sit them down and talk to them about it. At least try to get them into smaller sized games because teens are so Anti-parent you will probably not get them out of the game. They should mainly be worried if there kid is always broke (if he funds his buy-in). If you fund his habits than that gives you the power in their poker games so you can put a stop to it if you are worried.

I look forward to meeting the Wolverine on the felt soon. Thanks for everyone dropping by. Couple final posts in the series. Thanks especially to all those with great comments on their approach and challenges.

7 Comments:

Blogger Heavy Critters said...

Hey CC,

I'd LOVE your spreadsheet (that sounds dirty for some reason...). My email is beepmail at gmail dot com.

Thanks man!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Klopzi said...

Nice interview!

Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders.

It's nice to know that there are young people taking up the game and still concentrating on school, family, career, etc.

I mean, I'm going to have to rely on my kids to support me in my old age and that's not going to happen if they're all trying to grind out a living at the 1/2 tables at Interpoker...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No doubt I'll be teaching Little Drizz how to play Omaha.

I just hope he'll have a similar maturity level as Wolverine does about the game.

11:27 AM  
Blogger TripJax said...

Having played at a live table with him in Charlotte recently, I can say he handled himself well and was a nice guy.

Nice job cc and wolverine.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Heavy Critters said...

I FINALLY found time to read this post.

I hope that BeePling #2 grows up with as much sense about the addictive Gamblor aspect of the game as young Wolverine has right now.

Nice series.

4:37 PM  
Blogger F.J. Delgado said...

Wolverine seems like a great player with his priorities in line.

Nice interview, thanks!

11:55 AM  
Blogger naila akifa said...


Thank you, the article is very helpful, hopefully this article is useful for all.

Obat Kokoloteun (Flek Hitam Diwajah)
Obat Penyakit Rhinitis Alergi
Obat Penyakit Henoch-Schonlein Purpura

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com