22 January 2008

New Sites and Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

I have several new sites to the right. I haven't been too rigorous with updating my bloglist, but these are a few that are either very new to me or I just haven't had here. You should know DrChako and The Wife. You won't want to miss her post today, My Infidelity. Check the other sites out as well. From religion to movies to Iraq, you'll find a wide array of stuff folks are capturing.

New music I've downloaded: On a Dead Machine's Hey, Charade (only available on their MySpace site, but really, really great song), Anne Marie Almedal's The Siren and the Sage (Norwegian siren, especially for the chicks and guys in the doghouse who need to get their lovely lady something sweet to listen to; also for guys who have found their feminine side like me, I guess...). Her photo below:



With that, Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, where we head from here to see where we end up in cyber-blogdom.

Strange Culture First up is a new site I found from a couple of movie nuts. RC and Grete had a Films+Faith blog-a-thon which I'll definitely have to dive into. It was a collection of posts form a couple dozen blogs, all of which look very interesting.

SF Gospel Well, if there's one thing I know, it's that Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is always going to take us to new places. The subtitle for this site is Explorations of faith in science fiction and popular culture. He has a post titled "Top 10 Action Heroes Who Deserve a Comeback." Who made the list? You'll have to go there to find out (I don't think #1 will surprise you, but guess anyways before heading over there).

Nerve All I can say is "Wow!" Maybe I'm a dork and am the only person who doesn't know about this site (DON'T ANSWER THAT!), but this will absolutely become part of my daily routine. Blogs, film, hipness. It might be just a big personals site as well, I'm not quite sure. I'll let you know.

Risky Biz Blog Any and everything about the motion picture industry from inside the ropes. Steven Zeitchik, who reports at Variety, is the editor and leader of this site.

Six Square This is the home of Will Keightley, and he hits music (way cooler and more out there than me, which doesn't take much I realize), film, and television. Lots to explore here (Danny Warhols vs Veronica Mars is as good a place as any to start).

Blog is a Mix Tape Jason, way out cool soul brother. Musical exploration to the max. I'm sure I'm just at the tip of the iceberg, but I'll have to spend a good chunk of time here. His "Ten Other Things MLK Said" video is short but very, very powerful.

Bonus link: I bought a book by E.B. Sledge, "Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa," for our eldest son at Christmas. It is a first-hand account of heading from Marine boot camp directly into the South Pacific. The author is from Alabama and has a passage where he addresses a veteran Marine, Jay, who he called one of his best friends. My grandfather's name was Jay (J.T. Hellums), and he was a Marine in the South Pacific at that time. I'm not sure if they are one and the same, but I'd like to think they are. Studs Terkel has a collection of interviews with WWII veterans that are truly fascinating to listen to, and one is with E.B. Sledge.

1 Comments:

Blogger The NL Wife said...

Thanks for the props . . . when I get a little more time, I'll have to check out all your links.

I did have fun writing that post - although I had to tell the husband to not freak out about the title and just keep reading . . . :)

Have a great day!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE counter and Web statistics from sitetracker.com